Missing persons: Interior Ministry confirms handover of 6 missing men

November 21, 2013 8:41 PM

31 0

Law office­r tells court the minist­ry has no knowle­dge of their wherea­bouts.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday confirmed to the Lahore High Court that the six detainees released by US authorities from the Bagram prison had been handed over to Pakistani authorities on November 16.

The ministry’s counsel told the court that it could only confirm release and transfer but did not know their whereabouts and status. “The Interior Ministry and Foreign Ministry have no knowledge in this regard,” he said.

Justice Muhammad Khalid Mahmood Khan is hearing a petition moved by Justice Project Pakistan, a non-profit law firm, for the release and return of Pakistani citizens detained at Bagram jail by the US.

Advocate Maryam Haq, counsel for the detainees, brought to the court’s attention that the released men were being held by Pakistani authorities since Saturday without any official acknowledgment.

She added said the government’s acknowledgment of the release and repatriation of these six detainees was a cause of relief, but no cause to celebrate.

After recording the statements, the court directed the law officer to contact the Ministry of Interior and provide information to the court on the whereabouts and state of the repatriated detainees by November 25.

The JPP had submitted that Pakistani citizens had been detained at Bagram jail without any charge or trial since 2003. It said they were abducted from Pakistan and removed to the infamous US prison in Afghanistan.

Initially the petition was filed for the release of seven Pakistanis. Later, names of 25 more prisoners were included.

The JPP has requested the court to issue directions to the government for repatriation of all prisoners.

Source: tribune.com.pk

To category page

Loading...